Sunday 23 September 2012

T(ha)ime to improvise...

It’s the weekend so there’s no excuse. I can do this. Now, I’m not one of these people who can whip up anything amazing without first consulting a cookery book, but I know enough to figure out what goes with what.

Following on from my last post about the wonders of cheap living, there’s a tray of chicken breasts in my fridge that were scooped up in the reduced section for a mere £1.65, There's also a pack of creamed coconut so I’m thinking curry, maybe Thai.

The great thing about Thai food (at least, for me) is that you can follow a basic procedure and, unless you do something horrifically wrong, generally come out with a result that appears far more impressive than it actually is.


It’s basically a three step process. Fry meat, add vegetables, add spices (ultimately incorporating the ‘guess quantities, try not to get it wrong’ technique).

In my case, I fry chicken, add red and yellow peppers, red onion and a courgette and fry some more. (I’m not sure of the timeframe – stop when they look cooked but not unconscious is a ballpark).


Then step three. Here, anything goes (keeping the 'try not to get it wrong' aspect in mind). I transfer everything into a saucepan as the frying pan is getting a little overcrowded. Add curry powder and creamed coconut and mix well. I like spicy food so finish with a good dose of chilli then stir in fresh egg noodles.

Finally, find chopsticks in the kitchen drawer to create the feel that you’re in a posh restaurant and there you have it - Thai chicken curry, just how it looks in the photo.



No comments:

Post a Comment