Wednesday 12 September 2012

Bargain food

I love a good bargain. And I also love food. So this week I decided to have a bargain inspired recipe week. I set off to the supermarket with a single mission in mind – to find ingredients on offer that would inspire recipes.

As I’ve mentioned previously, I’m a big fish and seafood fan so my discovery of four fabulous smoked haddock fillets for under £3 was a good start. Recipe number one – fish pie! I already had potatoes, mushrooms and tomatoes in the fridge so a bag of reduced price fresh spinach was all that was needed! One of the first basics that I ever learned to make was a cheese and mustard sauce, which has supported many a dish and on this occasion proved to be the perfect accompaniment. Yum.


Next up was a whole chicken, reduced to £2. The first half was used for some good old fashioned chicken and chips, leaving the second half up for grabs. I discovered an amazing jalfrezzi sauce, half price at just £1 and that sealed the deal. Mix in the leftover spinach, a yellow pepper and a tin of chopped tomatoes and serve with naan bread (also half price!).


Inspired by my sauce discovery, I ventured further down the aisle and found another bargain – a lovely tomato and mascarpone pasta sauce, also on offer at just £1. I had the remaining tomatoes, mushrooms and peppers so all that was required was a courgette to complete the equation. Some grated cheddar on top and a roasted vegetable pasta bake was a quick and easy evening meal for little extra cost.


As I carried the groceries back, I felt silently smug. A range of dinners (plus equal amounts of leftovers) were now in the bag and I had spent less than a tenner. Terrific!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your message, Ratna! We'd love to guest blog for you and will drop you an e-mail to discuss!

    ReplyDelete